Macaroni and cheese is definitely a comfort food that most of us enjoy. I have discovered an amazing recipe from Averie Cooks that will take this classic dish to a whole new level. This recipe for Creamy Vermont Mac & Cheese is sure to satisfy your cravings and warm your heart.
First, preheat your oven to 375°F. Then, cook a pound of elbow macaroni in salted boiling water for about 7-8 minutes. Drain the pasta and set it aside. Next, melt 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add 1/4 cup of flour and whisk until smooth. Cook for about two minutes and then gradually add 4 cups of milk while whisking constantly.
Once the milk is well combined, add 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, 1 cup of shredded gruyere cheese, 1/2 cup of shredded fontina cheese, and 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder. Keep whisking until the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth. Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Add the cooked macaroni to the cheese sauce and mix well.
Now it’s time to prepare the topping. Combine 1/2 cup of panko breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons of melted butter, and 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley in a bowl. Spread the macaroni and cheese mixture evenly in a 9×13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle the topping mixture on top and bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and crispy.
Serve this delectable dish as a main dish or a side dish for a special dinner or potluck. This comfort food will definitely be a crowd-pleaser. Enjoy the creamy goodness of the cheese combined with the crispy topping.
-1 lb elbow macaroni
-6 tbsp unsalted butter
-1/4 cup flour
-4 cups milk
-2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
-1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
-1/2 cup shredded fontina cheese
-1/2 tsp garlic powder
-Salt and pepper to taste
-1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
-2 tbsp melted butter
-1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Cook elbow macaroni in salted boiling water for about 7-8 minutes.
3. Drain pasta and set it aside.
4. Melt unsalted butter over medium heat in a large saucepan.
5. Add flour and whisk until smooth. Cook for about two minutes.
6. Gradually add milk while whisking constantly.
7. Add shredded cheeses, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Whisk until smooth.
8. Add cooked macaroni to cheese sauce and mix well.
9. Prepare topping by combining panko breadcrumbs, melted butter, and chopped parsley in a bowl.
10. Spread macaroni and cheese mixture evenly in a 9×13 inch baking dish.
11. Sprinkle topping mixture on top.
12. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown and crispy.
13. Serve and enjoy!